PENNE PASTA WITH VEGETABLES
8 ounces of penne pasta, dry
4 cups broccoli florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
One small red onion, sliced thin
2cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups sliced zucchini
1⁄2 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Two medium tomatoes, chopped
4 cups fresh spinach, chopped small
1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Add broccoli for the last 2 minutes of cooking pasta.
- Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil, garlic, onion, and mushrooms in a large frying pan and saute’ for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add sliced zucchini and continue to saute’ for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium, add tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in spinach and lemon rind; cook covered for 2 minutes or until spinach is tender.
- Add cooked mixture to pasta/broccoli and toss to coat well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.